16 December 2013

Is the Lord Jesus Christ the one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30?



THE IGLESIA NI CRISTO
theiglesianicristo.blogspot.com
“Answering Christ-is-God Theology”

Proponents of Christ-is-God theology either misinterpret the verses of the Bible or basing on inaccurate translation of the verses to back up their contentions. Do not be deceived. Make a careful study. Examine and investigate.



ON PROVERBS 8:22-30

“IS THE LORD JESUS CHRIST THE ONE REFERRED TO IN PROVERBS 8:22-30?”



 THOSE WHO BELIEVE that the Lord Jesus Christ is God will use every verses they think will support their contentions although those verses never mentioned that Christ is God. It is very clear that the proponents of Christ-is-God theology did not even bothered to examine if the Lord Jesus Christ is really the one referred to in the verses they quoted. Careful examination of the verses they used will show us that it is “ridiculous” to say that it is the Lord Jesus Christ the one referred to in those verses. An example of this is Proverbs 8:22-30. The verse reads:

“The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old. I have been established from everlasting, From the beginning, before there was ever an earth. When there were no depths I was brought forth, When there were no fountains abounding with water. Before the mountains were settled, Before the hills, I was brought forth; While as yet He had not made the earth or the fields, Or the primal dust of the world. When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep, When He established the clouds above, When He strengthened the fountains of the deep, When He assigned to the sea its limit, So that the waters would not transgress His command, When He marked out the foundations of the earth, Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him.” (Proverbs 8:22-30 NKJV)

Although the name of the Lord Jesus Christ was never mentioned in the verse, but those who believe that Jesus is God still insist that Jesus is the one referred to in the said verse. Thus, it is only their interpretation in saying that the Lord Jesus is the one referred in Proverbs 8:22-30.


(1) IT IS RIDICULOUS TO SAY THAT JESUS IS THE ONE REFERRED TO IN PROVERBS 8:22-30

Is the Lord Jesus Christ the one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30? The one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30 was the “wisdom” mentioned in the verse 12. Let us quote Proverbs 8:12-22:

“I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, And find out knowledge and discretion. The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate. Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom; I am understanding, I have strength. By me kings reign, And rulers decree justice. By me princes rule, and nobles, All the judges of the earth. I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me. Riches and honor are with me, Enduring riches and righteousness. My fruit is better than gold, yes, than fine gold, And my revenue than choice silver. I traverse the way of righteousness, In the midst of the paths of justice, That I may cause those who love me to inherit wealth, That I may fill their treasuries. ‘The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old.” (NKJV)

Those who believe that Jesus is God did not bother to examine first the verses. After reading the verses, they immediate jump to conclusion that Jesus is the one referred to in the verse. Because they did not bother to examine the verses, they failed to realize that it is ridiculous to say that Jesus Christ is the one referred in the verse. Why? Let us read again the verses 12 and 22, and let us also quote verses 1-2.

“I, WISDOM, dwell with prudence, And find out knowledge and discretion.
“The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old.
“Does not WISDOM cry out, And understanding lift up HER voice? SHE takes her stand on the top of the high hill, Beside the way, where the paths meet.” (Proverbs 8:12, 22, 1-2 NKJV, Emphasis Mine)

Take note that the pronouns used referring to the “wisdom” are “her” and “she” (feminine pronoun). Why it is ridiculous to say that Jesus is the one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30? Because if so, then Jesus is the one referred to by the pronouns “her” and “she.”


(2) IT IS RIDICULOUS TO CONCLUDE THAT JESUS IS THE ONE REFERRED TO IN PROVERBS 8:22-30 BECAUSE I CORINTHIANS 1:24 MENTIONED THAT JESUS IS “THE WISDOM OF GOD”

Because in I Corinthians 1:24, the Bible mentioned that Jesus is God’s wisdom, the proponents of Jesus-is-God theology concluded that Jesus is the one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30. Let us first read I Corinthians 1:24:

“But to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” (I Corinthians 1:24 NKJV)

The argument that Jesus is the one referred to in Proverb 8:22-30 because I Corinthians 1:24 mentioned that He is God’s wisdom, is a FALLACY OF HASTY GENERALIZATION. It is ridiculous to say that because I Corinthians 1:24 mentioned that Jesus is the wisdom of God so He is the one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30. Take note of what Luke 2:52 said:

“And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.” (Luke 2:52 NKJV)

Following the argument used by those who believe that Jesus is God regarding Proverbs 8:22-30, thus: because Luke 2:52 mentioned “wisdom,” and I Corinthians 1:24 mentioned that Christ is God’s wisdom, then “Jesus increased in Jesus.” Now I Corinthians 1:19 mentioned:

“For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.” (NKJV)

Following their argument: The verse said that “God will destroy the wisdom of the wise,” I Corinthians 1:24 mentioned that Jesus is God’s wisdom, thus “God will destroy Jesus”? Not let us go back to Proverbs 8:1-2:

“Does not wisdom cry out, And understanding lift up her voice? She takes her stand on the top of the high hill, Beside the way, where the paths meet.” (Proverbs 8:1-2 NKJV)

Following their argument: The pronouns used referring to the wisdom mentioned in Proverbs 8:1-2 are “her” and “she,” and I Corinthians 1:24 mentioned that Jesus is God’s wisdom, thus, “Jesus is a she.”

This clearly proves that although I Corinthians 1:24 mentioned that Jesus is God’s wisdom, but it is incorrect to say that Jesus is the “wisdom” mentioned in Proverbs 8:22-30, for the pronouns used referring to the “wisdom” in Proverbs 8:22-30 are “her” and “she” (cf. Prov. 8:1-2). Therefore, it is truly ridiculous to say that Jesus is the one referred to in Proverbs 8:22-30.


Copyright Statement
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
© THE IGLESIA NI CRISTO 2013
No part of this publication may be produced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission from the publisher.


THE IGLESIA NI CRISTO
theiglesianicristo.blogspot.com
“Answering Chris-is-God Theology”
PROVERBS 8::22-30


No comments:

Post a Comment

Know why more and more people worldwide convert to Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church Of Christ). Learn more about this Church and find out what makes it unique.

Learn More About Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church Of Christ)